When I was looking at all my old recipes that I posted in this blog, I realized that the last time I made donuts was about 2 years ago (I posted my donuts recipe on 2017 and it was such a long time ago). I felt like I had to renew some of my old recipes and retake some new pictures, and one of it was my donuts recipe.

Honestly,  I usually always preferred to make bread than donuts because (to me) it was easier. I always had troubles shaping the donuts and they never came out in good shapes. I also didn't like to use donuts cutter (I am never able to make good shapes using donuts cutter, but maybe I should try again some other time).

This time, I used a simple technique to shape the donuts and it was so easy and I thought my donuts came out pretty good (not perfect and symmetrical of course but still very decent).  They were really good too (it raised well and very soft in the inside even for the next day) and I made several topping for my homemade donuts.

Actually, the three of us had different taste and preference about what should we added on top of our donuts. My boy loved cream cheese and grated cheese, daddy liked anything with chocolate and I liked a simple topping like icing sugar on my donuts. So that was why, making donuts usually took more time because I had to prepare several different type of toppings for the three of us.

This time, I made chocolate glaze and cream cheese frosting for the base of my donuts toppings. I added chocolate rice sprinkles on top of the chocolate glaze. For the cream cheese frosting, I added grated cheddar cheese (my boy's favorite is always donuts with cheese) and chocolate rice. For me, I always like the simple one and just added icing sugar on top of my donuts.

For the dough, you can use any kind of soft bread recipe that you have and as long as the dough is elastic, your donuts should come out fine and soft in the middle even after 3 days (my donuts never lasted more than 3 days, so I don't know what would happen after 3 days). You just need to reheat the donuts if you want to eat them the next day, and they will be as good as when they are still hot and fresh from the frying pan.

I divided my donuts dough into 30 gr each, so they were quite small actually. If you like bigger size for your donuts, you can divide the dough into 50 gr each. Good donuts have white rings in the middle, so make sure you only shallow fry the donuts to get those nice white rings.

Ingredients:

For the bread dough:

  1. 260 gr bread flour
  2. 3 gr instant yeast
  3. 20 gr sugar
  4. 1 cold egg + cold milk = 180 ml
  5. 30 gr salted butter, in room temperature

For Chocolate Glaze Topping:

  1. 90 gr dark chocolate (semi sweet)
  2. 2 tbsp honey (for shiny top)
  3. 30 gr salted butter
  4. 2 tsp plain milk (or water)

For cream cheese frosting:

  1. 100 gr unsalted butter, soften
  2. 220 gr cream cheese, soften
  3. 1 cup powdered sugar
  4. 1/4 tsp vanilla essence

For the topping (other):

  1. Icing sugar
  2. Chocolate rice sprinklers
  3. Grated cheddar cheese

Method:

To make cream cheese frosting:

  1. Add all the ingredients to the mixing bowl and beat in high speed until frosting is silky smooth, creamy, and fluffy
  2. Spread the frosting on top of the donuts and add grated cheddar cheese or chocolate rice sprinkles

To make chocolate glaze:

  1.  Add all ingredients into a heatproof bowl and heat (using microwave or steamer) until the chocolate is completely melt and really smooth (stir occasionally)
  2. Dip the tops of the donuts into the chocolate glaze and then cover with sprinkles.